Shine in the love of God's grace, every day.
Search is a weekend experience in a Catholic Christian Community. The Search experience will reflect a balance of the Word and Sacraments according to the practice of the Catholic Church. The central theme of the weekend, Searching for Christian Maturity, is explored through a personal and interactive approach.
The weekend is prepared by trained team members who want to share their faith journey with others. Members of the team include a Spiritual Director and Parental Advisors who are present during the weekend to offer guidance and answer any questions. At LA/SGV SEARCH, it's our mission to help you explore your relationship with God and improve those meaningful relationships in your family life. Join us and experience the warmth of faith and the strength of our community.
1. I’ve never been on a retreat before. What’s it like? A retreat is a chance to get away from our busy lives, and gather with others to reflect on our lives and especially on our relationship with God.
2. What will happen on the retreat? There will be music, presentations, small group discussions, socializing, free time, time for private prayer and reflection, Mass, reconciliation, and more! It’s not a silent retreat, although there will be opportunities for silent reflection. This retreat is also a chance to meet other young adults in the area. The purpose of the retreat is to deepen our relationship with Christ, and to refresh and invigorate our lives to better serve God and each other.
3. I’m not Catholic, or I haven’t been to church in a long time. Can I attend? Yes, definitely! Any young adult is welcome, even if you’re not sure about your faith and spirituality. We say “Come As You Are,” and we mean it!
4. Can I bring my spouse or friends? Yes, although sleeping quarters will be separate for men and women.
5. Can I bring children? No. All retreatants must be at least 18 years old, and there’s no childcare available.
6. How do I register? Contact any LA/SGV Search team member or Core Team Member and we will fill out the application together!
7. How much does the retreat cost? The retreat is $90 per person. This covers your retreat materials, accommodations, and meals and snacks, Friday night to lunch on Sunday.
8. How long is the retreat?Can I attend only part of it? The retreat begins on Friday, in the evening, and ends Sunday, mid-afternoon. To build community, everyone is required to be there for the whole retreat.
9. Do I have to stay at the retreat house? Yes, essential to a retreat is the chance to get away from our normal routine for a time.
10. Will I share a room? The retreat house has dormitory-style accommodations, with a twin bed, and night stand.
11. Is there a phone in the dorms?Can I use my cell phone? There are no phones in the dormitories. In the interest of immersing yourself fully in retreat, we do not allow the use of cell phones throughout the weekend. There will be an emergency contact number you can give out in case someone needs to reach you. Think if it as a Technology detox.
12. What do I need to bring? You’ll need to bring clothing for the weather, If you are musically inclined, feel free to bring your instrument. Bring your sleeping bag or sheets/blankets, pillow, towel, toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, etc. ---all necessary toiletries.
13. Is the retreat house handicapped accessible? Yes, but please let us know your needs when you register.
14. What if I have special dietary needs? Let us know when you fill out your application and we will do our best to accommodate
Los Angeles/ San Gabriel Valley
That all may know
LA/SGV Search for Christian Maturity is a weekend experience in a Catholic Christian community organized and conducted by committed and trained team members who have already had such an experience. The essential genius of the Search movement is its Young Adult to Young Adult approach; it is an instrument through which the Holy Spirit speaks and directs young people through the words, actions, and lives of their peers.The Search movement provides an opportunity for each young adult to gain greater insight into the meaning of Catholic Christian faith through the works and thoughts of their peers who have already begun such a journey.Search offers a beginning to an ever-deepening commitment to Christ in the Catholic Church. Therefore, the Search movement, through its ongoing ministry, trains leaders and encourages young people to be apostolically committed to their local churches and involve themselves in programs and activities according to their talents.
YOUNG ADULT CATHOLIC RETREAT